During World War I and World War II, gardening took on a distinctly martial air. Citizens were encouraged to grow their own backyard produce (dubbed “war gardens” in WWI and “victory gardens” in WWII, which shows how far the art of positive spin had progressed in just a few decades). Culled from the Library of Congress, check out 12 fantastic food posters from that era. Start a garden and salute.
“If you buy a box of raisins, you can be pretty sure there’s raisins inside. That’s not true with honey.” Our primer on honey laundering.
Modern Farmer, a new print quarterly, website, e-commerce and events company, is looking for an Advertising and Sponsorship Manager. At Modern Farmer, we’re passionate about telling stories about where our food comes from; for more information, go here or check out this recent Wall Street Journal profile.
We are looking for creative person to help push us forward, bringing in integrated digital and print ad buys as well as sponsorships and event partners. In the current media landscape, it seems that advertisers are looking beyond traditional ways to reach audiences so the more forward-thinking, the better. This is a great job for someone who wants to work in a start-up environment to build a team and a global brand.
This position reports directly to the CEO and Editor-in-Chief.
Desired Skills & Experience:
● 4+ years of digital advertising sales experience, website launch experience a plus.
● Proven track record of exceeding digital sales goals.
● Extensive contacts and existing relationships with leading agencies and consumer brand clients.
● Ability to create sales opportunities with content integration and creative packaging to maximize inventory and revenue across email, web, and social platforms.
● Ability to develop custom programs in response to RFP’s, including strong proposal writing.
● Strong understanding of digital advertising with experience selling both web and email advertising.
● Experience and familiarity with social media marketing and putting together cross platform campaign. Ability to put together proposals for brands that use the website, email, Facebook and Twitter, as well as some experience with online contests/sweepstakes.
● Ability to develop marketing materials to support digital sales efforts, including general presentations, program sellsheets, proposals, media kits, wrapup reports, and other collateral.
● Work closely with Editorial and Marketing team in development and launch of new products to package for sales team. Work with Editor-inChief on solidifying editorial calendar and creating opportunities around Editorial franchises.
● Excellent communication and presentation skills. A sense of humor helps.
● New platform experience with video advertising sales and content sponsorships. Mobile advertising sales a plus.
● Ability to develop and manage a consistent sales pipeline.
● Work with designers & developers and project manage the building and execution of custom programs.
● Strong track record of building and managing sales teams and overseeing ad operations.
Interested? Email email@example.com with a cover letter and resume.